Thanks to our Sponsors:

History of Wagoner

Wagoner received it's name from Henry "Bigfoot" Wagoner, a dispatcher with the Katy Railroad in Parsons, Kansas who decided that a switch was needed for the railroad at Wagoner. His request was granted and the switch was built. When it was announced that the switch was ready, Wagoner had it's name.

Interesting Historical Facts About Wagoner

Wagoner was the first incorporated town in Indian Territory in January 1896

Wagoner had the first public school in Indian Territory, 1897

Wagoner had a Quarterhorse whose record has not been broken. (Mr. Bar None.)

Wagoner had five hotels called the "Wooden Ladies"

Wagoner had five railroad companies: The Katy, M.K.T., Southern Pacific, Wichita Falls & Northwestern, St. Louis & San-Francisco.

The Pharmaceutical Association held its' first annual meeting in Wagoner, 1896

Wagoner has fifty-two building on the National Historical Register

Wagoner saw a lot of action during the Civil War: Battle of Flat Rock, Battle of Honey Creek, and Battle of Blue Mound.

Wagoner had a bottling plant for purity soft drinks.

Wagoner had its own brick factory.

The St. James Episcopal Church is the oldest Episcopal church still in use. It was built in 1894 and has been moved three times in the same block.